Monday, 1st September 2014
12:10

 Charlestown's Timeline a Chronological History of Charlestown

 

 

1790
• Charlestown known as West Polmear
• Population 9 fishermen and their families
• Outer quay built
1792
• Excavation of an inner dock
1793
• Shipwright's yard established
• Small vessels launched
1794
• Port leat cut from Luxulyan
• Number of houses built
1799

• First dock gates erected.
• Name of Charles's Town first used, after Charles Rashleigh

1804
• Charlestown's first iron foundry opened
• First Sunday School formed
1824

• Second smelting house opened

1825

• Ownership of Charlestown changed from the Rashleighs to Crowders
• First full survey and inventory of Charlestown land

1851

• Rashleigh Arms built
• St Paul's Church completed

1864
• Proposal to enlarge harbour and bring in a branch rail line
1873

• Dock extended in length

1885
• Charlestown foundry changed ownership
1887
• Pumps were used as severe drought caused both leat ponds to dry up
1890

• New dock gates fitted

1891
• Dock lit by oil lamps, following 3 drownings
• The ‘Great Blizzard' closed Charlestown Road and dock
• Mount Charles coopers strike
1892
• Re-sale of Charlestown considered
• Gales washed away part of outer basin wall
1893
• Approximately 6,000 tons of cliff fell on eastern beach
1895

• Charlestown Infants School opened
• Vicarage built for St Paul's Church

1920
• Gas main laid for street lighting
1925
• Charlestown Road first surfaced with tarmac
1935
• Foundry purchased by English China Clays
1940
• Foundry engaged in war contracts
• War evacuees sent to village
• Bomb dropped on village, first in Cornwall
• Dock taken over for fitting out mine sweepers
1948

• Dock gates removed for repairs

1971
• New dock gates fitted
1976
• Shipwreck and Heritage Centre opened
1981

• Shipwreck and Heritage Centre enlarged and restaurant built

1986
• Charlestown sold to Charlestown Partnership; several changes of ownership since
1992
• John and Rita Kneale purchase the Shipwreck and Heritage Centre
1993

• Port purchased by Square Sail Shipyard Ltd.

Present
• Port of Charlestown used as a location for several films and programmes.